Wednesday 14 May 2014

On Top Of A 6000m Mountain

Hello.  In my last blog post I said I was quite tired.  Well, here's the reason why.

I've just got back from climbing a mountain that was 6,000m high!  That means it was over two-thirds of the height of Everest, the tallest mountain in the world.  It was called San Miguel de Palermo.

It took six days to get to the top.  We spent the time walking up a valley, camping, and cooking pasta to give us lots of energy.  Some days we rested and played cards in the sunshine.  We couldn't go any more quickly as there isn't very much oxygen on top of high mountains so you have to move slowly.  This wasn't so much of a problem for me, as I'm a stuffed traveller, but Robin's auntie and uncle found it quite hard to breathe.

Me on top of a 6000m mountain!

On top of the mountain the views were amazing.  We could see lots of other big mountains with snow on top and we could see the clouds below us even though it was sunny on the mountaintop.  It was very cold and windy though; Robin's auntie and uncle had to wear mittens and hats and three pairs of socks.  I was just fine in my fur!

There wasn't any wildlife on top of the mountain but we saw lots in the valley on the way there.  We saw condors which were like huge black eagles soaring above us.  We saw llamas most days; they are very common animals in this part of South America.  There was a family of a mummy, daddy and baby llama that I saw lots of times.

One day I saw a fox very close to our campsite.  I also saw lots of animals called Vizcachas which are like overgrown rabbits except that they have long tails instead of short fluffy ones.  There aren't any Vizcachas in England so I was very excited to see them.  That's one of the things I like about travelling - there are lots of things to see that don't exist in Birmingham.

A fox visiting our campsite

After looking at all the wildlife and climbing San Miguel de Palermo we walked back down the valley to a village called Cachi.  From there, we could see the mountain we had climbed.  It looked enormous and I felt very proud to have been to the top!

The question is: have I set a new world height record for stuffed travellers?!

No comments:

Post a Comment