Saturday 22 November 2014

A Monastery in a Cliff

Hello.  Sorry you haven't heard from me for a while.  I'm still in Nepal at the moment.  I promised to tell you some more about my long trek in Dolpo, so here goes...

In Dolpo, most people are Buddhists.  Buddhists often meditate, or sit in silence, to look for peace.  It's a bit like being Quaker in some ways, and Adam, Robin and Grace know all about Quakers in Birmingham.

Buddhists don't go to Meeting Houses though, they go to monasteries.  Can you spot the monastery in the cliff in this picture?


The white and brown statues in this picture are Buddhist monuments.  They are called Chortens and you see them at the entrance to villages in Dolpo.  The pile of stones next to them (Mani walls) have prayers written on them.  You have to walk to the left of the stones when you enter the village.  I wonder if there are any places where Adam, Robin and Grace always have to walk on the left?  Perhaps in their school corridors? Or when they get on the bus?


Dolpo is near Tibet, which is owned by China, and the people speak Tibetan not Nepali.  Here is the Tibetan flag flying outside a monastery.  It's very colourful, isn't it?



I've still got some more exciting things to tell you about Dolpo so you will be hearing from me again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment