Tuesday 17 February 2015

The City by the Sea

Guess which country I'm in now?  The answer is ... Australia!

I took this picture in Sydney, which is right beside the sea.  I'm standing in front of a very famous building, called Sydney Opera House.  It's the white building with lots of different shaped pieces, with curved tops, on my right.

You can go and watch a concert or a ballet inside the opera house.  You wouldn't know this building was a concert hall from the outside though, would you?  The opera house was actually designed to look like a ship with lots of white sails.  Don't you think that's cool?!


Australia is nearer to the equator than Britain, so it's normally warm and sunny.  You can see lots of blue sky in my photo.  Grace, Robin and Adam were probably sleeping when I took this picture though.  That's because Australia is almost at the other side of the world from Birmingham and the sun gets there at different times from in Britain.  So, the day and night are at different times.  

When it's time for school to start for Robin, Grace and Adam, at 9 o' clock in the morning, it's already 8 o' clock at night in Sydney!  The school children in Australia have already come home from school and had their tea, and they're probably getting ready for bed.  

Then, when children in Sydney are getting up to go to school, Adam, Robin and Grace are on their way to bed!

Sydney is also famous for the Sydney Harbour Bridge.  Here it is!


The Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House are quite close together so I could almost fit them both in the same photo.


There are quite a lot of beaches near Sydney.  I went for a walk along this one, called Coogee Beach. I had fish and chips there.  I don't think you'd have fish and chips on the beach in Britain in January or February as you'd get a bit cold.  The seasons are different in Australia though.  When it's winter in Britain, it's summer in Australia, so it's the middle of summer right now.  That means it's a good time to eat fish and chips on the beach!


When I got back to Sydney, after my day on the beach, I took a boat ride.  I got a great view of the city from the boat.  It has lots of skyscrapers.


Here's one more picture of me with Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House in the background.  I think I like Sydney!


No comments:

Post a Comment