Monday 2 February 2015

The Temples in the Jungle

Hi.  I've just been to Angkor Wat in Cambodia.  Angkor Wat is a massive temple and it was built over a thousand years ago.  It's very impressive.  How do you like my picture of it, reflected in the lake?


Angkor Wat was a Buddhist temple for a while and it was also a Hindu temple for a while.  Now there are lots of tourists visiting it because it's such a beautiful place.  Over 2 million people came here last year (and probably a few stuffed travellers)!

I liked it so much that I went up a hill nearby to get a good view...


Angkor Wat isn't the only temple in the jungle near here.  There are whole ruined cities as well.  One of them is called Angkor Thom and it used to be the capital city.  London is the capital city of the UK where Adam, Robin and Grace live.  I wonder what London will look like in a thousand years' time?!

Some of the temples are so old that there are massive trees growing on top of them.


It's hard to know what to do when trees start growing on a temple.  Normally it's good to encourage trees to grow as it's good for the environment.  The problem is that the trees are so big and heavy that they might crush the temples and make them fall down.

Sometimes, the people who look after the temples have to cut down a few trees to stop this from happening.


I cycled around the jungle to see Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom and the other ruins (actually, Auntie Susan did most of the pedalling).  Whenever I saw something interesting I parked my bike so I could have a look.  It was lots of fun.

It's hot and sunny every day in Cambodia at this time of year so I didn't have to worry about getting caught in a rain shower.  I had to buy lots of pieces of pineapple on sticks when I got too hot though.  Luckily there are lots of stalls selling pineapples on sticks here.

Here's a last look at Angkor Wat at sunset.


I've had a nice time in Cambodia looking at the ruins and eating fish amok (a kind of creamy coconut and fish curry), which is the main food here.  Next time you hear from me, I'll be in Laos!

No comments:

Post a Comment