Tuesday 20 January 2015

The Market On The River

Where do Adam, Robin and Grace go to buy fruit, I wonder?  They probably go to the supermarket or to a greengrocer's shop.  I'm pretty sure they buy their fruit from inside a building.

But in Thailand and Vietnam, some people go to the river to buy fruit.  Each boat is a shop!  It isn't difficult to guess what this one's selling - it's the banana shop!  I saw it at the floating market in Thailand.


In case you get hungry when you're doing your shopping, this boat is selling noodles and curry.


When I was in Vietnam I went to an even bigger floating market.  It was on a river about five times as wide as the Bristol Road.  There were lots of big boats selling fruit and vegetables.  Each one had a pole sticking out of the top of the boat with a type of fruit hanging from it, to let everyone know what you can buy there.  For example, a banana shop had a bunch of bananas hanging from the pole.

Lots of people rowed around the river in smaller boats and visited the shop boats so they could buy their fruit and vegetables.   Here is someone out shopping ...


I went to the pineapple boat-shop.  The shop owner cut up the pineapple so it was ready to eat.  Yum.


At the floating market in Thailand there was a big snake.  You could pay money to have a go at holding it.  I decided not to!  I don't very much like snakes as they're a lot bigger than stuffed travellers and they can be quite scary!


No comments:

Post a Comment