Saturday 17 January 2015

The Old Capital of Thailand

Hello from the old capital of Thailand, called Ayutthaya.  It was the capital from 1351 to 1767.  And what's the capital today?  I'm sure Adam knows.  I'll give him a second ... and a bit more thinking time ... yes, it's Bangkok!

Nowadays you can visit the ruins of the old city of Ayutthaya.  There were lots and lots of things to see.


The picture above shows part of the old Royal Palace.  The Kings of Ayutthaya were buried in the three big monuments.

(You can't see me very clearly in the picture because I'm a similar colour to the monuments.  Oh dear, I might have to ask Auntie Susan to give me a bath!)


Thailand is a Buddhist country so I saw lots of statues of Buddhas while I was in Ayutthaya, like the ones in the picture above.  Buddhist monks wear yellow-orange robes so the statues are wearing colourful robes too!

When I'd finished exploring Ayutthaya, I went back to Bangkok.  There are lots more impressive Buddhist temples to see there.  Here is one of them.


It has a giant Buddha statue.  Look at it!  Can you make out the head at the left hand side of the picture?  The statue is so enormous that the eyes look a very long way away when you're standing by the feet!  (And I didn't even go all the way to the feet to take this photo!)


One of the temples had quite a tall tower so I climbed to the top and looked at the view of Bangkok.  There is a massive river running through the city and sometimes the best way to travel around is by boat.  It's very pretty, isn't it?


I have some more exciting river photos to show you but I think I might save them for my next blog post.  Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment