Friday 9 January 2015

Handicrafts and Rice Fields

I've been on a trip to a place called Sapa in Northern Vietnam.  I had to take an overnight train to get there.  Luckily there was a bed for me on the train so it was quite comfy.

There are lots of different groups of people near Sapa.  Each group speaks a different language and wears different costumes.  They learn to speak Vietnamese as well, otherwise it would be hard for them to talk to each other.    

I went for a walk through the hills and villages near Sapa with some of the local people.  Here are their costumes.


The north of Vietnam is very hilly and people grow rice in the fields.  Rice fields are called paddy fields and they generally need a lot of water.


As well as growing rice, the local people make lots of souvenirs like bags and purses and hats to sell to tourists.  Uncle Guy decided he'd like a local hat!


I didn't manage to find a stuffed traveller-sized hat but I had a nice time anyway.  I spent two days around Sapa and I learned lots of things.  For example, did you know that most people in Vietnam eat noodle soup for breakfast?  It's very tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment