Saturday 13 December 2014

Harvest Time

When I was in Dolpo it was harvest time.  (It was October - unfortunately I've got very behind with my blog!)  


You see the different levels of ground behind me in the photo?  These are all fields of wheat and you only see them near the riverbank.  Further away from the river, the hillsides are far too steep to grow things.  (I know this because I climbed some of the slopes - well, actually, I mostly let Auntie Susan carry me!)

In Britain, the farmers use machines to thresh their wheat but in Dolpo the villagers do it by hand.  They use tools that look like big whips to thresh piles of wheat lying on the ground.  It looked like very hard work - probably as hard as playing football or running round the park or cycling to school.   The villagers need to make sure they finish before the snow arrives!



Dolpo is very pretty in the autumn sunshine but in a couple of months there will be so much snow that even Adam, Robin and Grace would not be able to go sledging there as they would get lost in a snowdrift!

It's quite difficult to be a farmer in Dolpo.  Apart from the snow, there is another problem: there isn't very much water.  You can see that the ground is quite bare except for some beautiful red flowers.


I don't think I'll become a farmer in Dolpo but I enjoyed visiting!

I've told you lots of things about Dolpo, in Nepal, so in my next blog post I'll be talking about a different country.  I wonder if Adam, Grace and Robin can guess which one?

No comments:

Post a Comment