Monday 22 September 2014

Hillsides and Tea Plants

I've just visited a tea-making factory.  There are lots of tea plantations in Sri Lanka where they grow tea leaves.  (Did you know that tea comes from plants?)  At the tea plantations, they pick the leaves then dry them, put them in packets, and send them all around the world so that people who like drinking tea can buy them.

I wonder if Adam, Robin and Grace's mum and dad drank any tea this morning.  Perhaps it came from Sri Lanka?  (If you want to ask them, it might be useful to know that Sri Lankan tea is sometimes called Ceylon tea.  I'm sure Granny Kath has some in her kitchen!)

Here's a picture of me in a tea plantation!


Here's the tea factory.



The tea plantations in Sri Lanka are in the centre of the island, where it's quite hilly.  The weather is much cooler and wetter.  This makes it a bit like Birmingham!  In fact, there is a town in Sri Lanka called 'Little England' (Nuriwa Eliya in the local language) because it's a bit chilly and it rains quite often!

There are some nice walks and beautiful views in the hills.  This viewpoint is called 'World's End' because there's a big cliff and the path through the hills suddenly stops, so it feels like the end of the world.




There are also some big waterfalls in the hills.  This one is called Baker's Falls.



I enjoyed seeing the hills and the tea plantations but I'm looking forward to going back to the beach where it's sunny.  After all, I can get rained on as often as I like when I get back to Birmingham!

No comments:

Post a Comment