Wednesday 24 September 2014

Walking on Fire

I've just visited Kandy, which is one of the biggest cities in Sri Lanka.  It has a beautiful botanical garden.


I got a very good view from this tree.  It's lucky that none of the fruits fell down on my head!


In the evening I went to see a Sri Lankan dance.  There were lots of people playing drums and wearing masks like this one.  Can you see all the cobras (a type of snake) on the mask?  Lots of Sri Lankan masks are decorated with cobras and some are decorated with peacocks.  I preferred the peacock ones because I'm a bit scared of snakes!


At the end of the performance, some of the dancers swallowed flames.  I was worried about them getting burned but nobody was hurt.  It was very impressive.  The flames were definitely real as I could feel the heat from where I was sitting.

(You have to be a specially trained Sri Lankan dancer to be able to swallow flames without getting hurt.  Nobody else should try it!)


Some of the dancers also walked across burning coals!


It was a very interesting evening, but I don't think I'll take up flame-swallowing as a hobby.  I prefer travelling around and writing my blog for Adam, Robin and Grace.

I'm going back to India soon.  I'll blog again from there!  Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment