Monday 8 September 2014

Kingfishers and Human Fishers

Hello from Sri Lanka!  Sri Lanka is an island and people eat a lot of fish so I decided to visit the fish market on my first day here.  I have never seen so many fish in my life!  Have you?

This market was on the beach.  It's quite different from the markets in Birmingham!


Next I went on a boat trip on the canals around Negombo.  (Negombo is a town near Colombo, the capital of Sri Lanka.)

Once upon a time, Sri Lanka was ruled by Holland.  The Dutch rulers built the canals (people from Holland are called Dutch people).  Did you know that there are lots and lots of canals in Holland and now there are some in Sri Lanka too?


I had a lovely time on the boat trip looking for wildlife.  I saw some big lizards called Water Monitors.  I also saw two different types of kingfishers.  They have blue backs and they are very beautiful.  They also fly very quickly so they are hard to take photographs of.  Luckily my Uncle Guy is quite good at taking photographs!

This one was a very big kingfisher.


This one was smaller, like a kingfisher in England.


We got off the boat part of the way through the trip to see how coconut drinks are made.  The man in the photograph climbed into a coconut tree and walked along some ropes to collect the milk.  It looked very difficult and a bit dangerous.  I was quite happy to stay on the ground and watch!


I'm already enjoying my trip to Sri Lanka a lot.  It is very hot and sunny here because it's quite close to the equator (the line around the middle of the world where the weather is hottest).  I expect I will see lots more interesting wildlife in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment