Sunday 14 September 2014

Riding elephants!

I've just been for a ride on an elephant!  You can see me on the elephant's head, with her trunk reaching up for a banana.  Did you know that elephants eat bananas whole, without peeling off the skin first?!


There are two types of elephant: Indian elephants and African elephants.  I rode an Indian elephant (as Sri Lanka is near India).  Indian elephants are smaller than African ones but they're still very big compared to me!  (Uncle Guy had to hold me up for a photo.)


Most elephants are wild animals.  It's a good thing for elephants to live in the wild and it's important for people to protect the jungle so that the elephants have somewhere safe to live.

Unfortunately people didn't always realise this and so they used to capture elephants and make them work for humans.  Elephants that are born captive can't live in the wild anymore as they don't know how.  These are the kinds of elephants that it's OK to go for a ride on.

After my ride, I went to visit the ruins of Polonnaruwa, which used to be the capital of Sri Lanka.  There are some very impressive ruins there.


Once Uncle Guy had seen lots of ruins, he said "I'm ruined!"  I think my friend Adam might like this joke!

I'm hoping I'll see some more elephants before I leave Sri Lanka and I think I'll probably see more ruins too.

No comments:

Post a Comment