Thursday 11 September 2014

The Temple in a Cave and the Rock Fortress

I've just visited a temple that was inside a cave!

In Sri Lanka there is a place called Dambulla where the king had to hide in some caves for eighteen years before he got his kingdom back.  He hid with some Buddhist monks.  He was very grateful to them so he decorated their temples as a reward.  Now they look amazing!



I didn't have my photo taken in the temple as it's disrespectful to have your photo taken with the Buddha.  It's important to respect other religions when you are travelling to different countries.  Did you know that, in Sri Lanka, most people are Buddhists?

After I'd visited the caves, I went to see the Sigiriya rock fortress.  You can see the rock in the photo.  The king built a palace on top of it and built stone steps to get to the top.  Small stuffed creatures like me must have got very out of breath when they were visiting the king!


There are some enormous stone lions' paws at the the bottom of the staircase.  Once there was a whole stone lion there, ready to pounce!  I think it would have looked quite scary to a stuffed traveller but I'm sure Adam, Robin and Grace wouldn't have been frightened.


The view from the ruined palace at the top was beautiful.  I just couldn't stop taking photos!


Once I'd visited the rock fortress I went to stay in guesthouse where they serve delicious rice and curry.  In Sri Lanka, people eat rice and curry for breakfast but I think Adam, Robin and Grace only eat it sometimes for dinner.   

No comments:

Post a Comment