Sunday 7 September 2014

Lots of Languages and Religions

Hello from Manali - a town in the Himalayas with lots of old wooden buildings.  I'm relaxing here after my trek.    



You must be wondering why I haven't said 'hello' in an Indian language yet.  When I was in South America I learnt to say 'Hola, Robin!' in Spanish, but it's a bit more difficult here.

There are lots of different languages in India.  For example, when I was in Delhi there were lots of people speaking Hindi and when I was in Amritsar (looking at the Golden Temple, remember?) lots of people spoke Punjabi.  So which language should I learn?
  
It's a difficult decision for a very small traveller like me - I don't really have room for lots of different languages in my furry head!

There are lots of different religions in Indian too.  You saw my photos of the Golden Temple, which is a holy place for the Sikhs.  Here is a photo from a Buddhist monastery in Manali.



And here is a photo of a Hindu temple in the woods near Manali.


Hinduism is the biggest religion in India but there are lots of Muslims, Sikhs, Buddhists and other religions too.

Next time you hear from me, my photos will look very different as I'll be on the sunny island of Sri Lanka, near the south of India.  Wish me luck for the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment